Monday, June 24, 2013

While the rooster crows



Mama Glory’s house – Sunday morning 6/17/2013

We were driven from Kilimanjaro airport to our respective homestays in the middle of the night.  As we were bumping along the dark roads, with no idea who or what would meet us at the other end, I thought to Christine, “This requires a lot of…trust.”  Around 5am on a leap of faith, I stepped out of the van and into the blackness.  But my fears faded right away when my host mom came running out with open arms and a big smile on her face.  Mama Glory is a darling woman, caring, perceptive, and incredibly warm.  Her home has been so comforting during my transition, and I will say more about the home and the family soon.

I deliriously jotted down some notes before going to bed. (Note that the jetlag gave my thoughts an edge of extreme.) Here are some fun excerpts:
Already I am in love with my home stay.
The ride here was sketchy and I felt nauseous from all the travel.  Blindly stepping into this.
Mama Glory is so sweet and welcoming.  I didn’t really know what to say.  Her English is great.
I believe she has children.  I think I woke them up, exclaiming “COOL” when I saw their loft of a bed.  She called them “her girls”.  She also said to me, “I am your mama”.  Sweet :)
She showed me the bathroom.  It is interesting.  She accurately described it as two-in-one.
My room feels very safe and right.  I think the reason I feel immediately at ease in my room is that it reminds me very much of my room in my grandparents’ house.  LOL.  The bedding is identical—faded yellow/orange floral comforters.
Mama Glory says we will have bread and chai and juice for breakfast.  Oh boy…so much for protein.
Time to sleep. I'm finally out of limbo and I am home.

1 comment:

  1. The beginning of your post was like a Hollywood thriller, with a happy ending of course. You are hilarious, yet truthful. I know exactly which sheets you speak of, my mom has the same ones... :)

    ReplyDelete